Fri, 25 Feb|
Intro SUP Surf & Downwind Clinic
Take your first steps into the world of bumps!
Time & Location
25 Feb 2022, 14:00 – 27 Feb 2022, 20:30
Salcombe, Salcombe, UK
About the Event
Ever wanted to ride a wave or fly downwind? Well, this clinic is for you!
Take your first steps paddling into bumps with our intro to SUP Surf & Downwind clinic.
You will learn the skills, knowledge and progression so you can enjoy two of the most thrilling areas of SUP. Learn to understand the surf and wind swells, use the water's energy to your advantage and begin gliding effortlessly across the water.
We will also give you the knowledge to stay safe when in the surf or planning trips downwind. Understand the water, what to look out for, areas to avoid, what to do if it goes wrong and how to call for help. Your safety is key, so our goal is to give you the confidence to get out again and progress after the clinic.
So just what will you learn?
- Knowledge - Using forecasts, apps and reports to predict the best conditions and reading the water and understanding hazards in both the surf zone and open water environments.
- Skills - Begin to catch bumps and rid them in control. Use the paddle for stability and improve your footwork.
- Techniques - How to catch waves and bumps. Stabilising with the paddle and using it to start manoeuvring your board.
What equipment do you need or recommend?
- Wetsuit - Winter wetsuit and boots as a minimum, but bring two if you have them, so you have a dry option throughout the sessions.
- SUP Suit / Drysuit - Always a great option, especially for downwind sessions. Layers to go under such as neoprene longjohns and base layers as well.
- Paddle Equipment - Ideally, an all-around or SUP Surfboard and a Race/Touring board (hire is not included in the ticket price). Please get in touch if you are unsure about what you have.
- Safety - A buoyancy aid or device is recommended. A couple of leashes (straight for surf and coiled/waist for downwind and any usual safety gear you take paddling.
- Clothing - Plenty of warm clothing as we will be mostly outside everyday. Waterproof options would be recommended just in case.
Do I need to be a skilled paddler?
No, absolutely not; this clinic is designed to give you an introduction and start your progression. We recommend you are at least confident paddling in various conditions, but no prior surf or downwind/ocean knowledge is required.
What about accommodation?
Our base will be around Salcombe in South Devon. Accommodation isn't included in the ticket, but there are lots of options for campsites, Airbnb stays and local B&B's. We recommend the excellent Ilton Farm Campsite just outside Salcombe who offer camping, huts and motor home pitches.
- Ticket type
Intro SUP Surf & Downwind
Salcombe Feb 2022Price£279.00