Sat, 14 May|
SUP Surf Progression Clinic
Go from just riding waves to making and improving your turns
Time & Location
14 May 2022, 09:00 – 15 May 2022, 16:30
Saunton Sands, Saunton Sands
About the Event
Are you looking to push yourself in the waves, make better turns with more style and control? Yes - well this one is for you.
You will learn the skills, knowledge and progression so you can develop your surfing style and be more confident in the surf. Learn to read the waves and understand what turns are best for that moment to maximise your ride time and most importantly of all the smile factor.
We will also give you the knowledge to stay safe when in the surf zone and to consider when heading to a new beach for the first time. Understand the water, what to look out for, areas to avoid, what to do if it goes wrong and how to call for help. Your safety is key, so our goal is to give you the confidence to get out again and progress after the clinic.
So just what will you learn?
- Knowledge - Using forecasts, apps and reports to predict the best conditions and reading the water and understanding hazards associated with the surf zone.
- Equipment - Understand different surf shapes and where they work best. What difference do paddles make and how they will help you improve by having the right paddle.
- Different types of waves and breaks - how can you tell if it's a beach break, are there rocks to avoid and understand why a particular wave is breaking as it is.
- Skills - Improving your control and developing your turns on both your front side and backside. Improve your footwork and how to use the paddle to drive your turns.
- Techniques - Catch waves easier and exit the wave under control so you stay out back in the best position. How do things change as waves get bigger?
What equipment do you need or recommend?
- Wetsuit - Winter wetsuits and boots are recommended. Bring two if you have them, so you have a dry option throughout the sessions.
- Paddle Equipment - SUP Surf board and paddle. We will have a couple of boards available if you need them so please get in touch.
- Safety - As a minimum a straight leash for surf. If you have two its always wise to bring a spare.
- Clothing/other items- Plenty of warm clothing as we will be mostly outside every day in an exposed location. A dryrobe or equivalent is highly recommended as is flasks for tea & coffee etc. Waterproof options would be recommended just in case as we will be on the beach doing theory at times.
Do I need to be a skilled paddler?
No, absolutely not; this clinic is designed to kickstart your progression in the waves so as long as you are catching waves in relative comfort now you will be fine.
Is this clinic only for beginners as I've been surfing for some time already?
No absolutely not as well; this clinic is for beginner / intermediate paddlers so if you are already making turns we aim to progress that further into more critical riding and better turns.
What about accommodation?
Our base will be on Saunton Sands so any accommodation locally to the beach would be ideal. There are plenty of Airbnb options around and we will aim to be starting around 9 - 9:30 am on both days.
Saunton Surf Clinic
Saunton May 2022£279.00Sale ended